So, our pediatrician has recommended that we become more aggressive with solid foods since our baby is handling them well and she is needing to put on more weight.
One thing I am aware that I will need to figure out is how to adapt my grocery shopping style to handle a third mouth to feed.
I went to the store today and bought a variety of items to try out. I am going to figure out how much everything costs, how much she is going to eat, what she likes, and how to make her healthy nutritious meals.
Based on what our pediatrician recommended, and a few baby’s first solids blogs, my sister and I headed out to the store (my sister knows a lot more about what fresh produce is supposed to be, I don’t buy a whole lot other then mostly potatoes, romaine lettuce, squash, white mushrooms and bagged spinach!)
First we headed to the co-op. I knew food here would be more expensive, but I also knew they’d have a lot of fresh and organic options.
Here’s what I got:
- Bulk: Lentils 1 lb, $1.99
- Organic Baby Oatmeal Cereal $4.89
(I bought it for $4.89, but if she likes it, I can buy it on Amazon for ~$2.95 per canister)
- Organic Blueberries – $6.98 / pint
(I found these at Price Chopper for only $3.99 / pint (on sale), also organic)
- Organic Broccoli – 2.22 lbs @ $3.29/lb
- Organic Red Kale – $3.29
- Organic Anjou Peras – 2 pears – $2.28
- Organic Whole Milk Yogurt $7.99
What I really wanted was avocados, but they were $2.50 each and I knew they were only $1.50 each at Price Chopper, so we headed there next.
What I purchased at Price Chopper:
- Another 3lb bag of sweet potatoes $2.50
- Free Sprout Organic Baby Food pouches (free with coupon)
- Avocados – 3 at $1.50 ea
- Organic Blueberries $3.99/pint
- Silken Tofu $2.99
- Dried Apricots – $3.50 (about a pound)
- Dried and pitted prunes $4.49 (about a pound)
- Powered ginger
- Wholly Avocado $2.50
- Wholly Guacamole $2.50 (minis) 63 cents per mini
I could have saved on these if I had waited to use a coupon. There is almost always a wholly guacamole coupon available online.
So, I’m hoping to have some fun introducing Claire to new foods over the next few weeks. Here’s too many more adventures in Baby Food!